- Few of the iOT vendors mentions to install an agent on the sensor related flagship devices.
- An agent is essentially an embedded program that reads parameters from the computing device of user and then communicates with the cloud services.
- It is a proprietary sort of software that installs itself on the devices connecting to cloud services.
- It reports the status of some asset device or environment
- In reality the job of the agent is to read the status out of sensors or a local connectivity to an asset.
- It applies some logic to how frequently the sender has to assimilate the information.
- It then sends the information over a long-distance communications network to the server. The process can function in reverse as well.
Snippet program for agent:
temperature = sensor.blocking_read()
- Here the sensor.blocking read refers to the user’s device whatever it may be and upload it to cloud in mqttc.publish.
- Even more advanced agents will have complex mechanisms to handle offline storage, TLS support for communication towards cloud, respond to any updates from cloud.
- The agent will handle power constraints too.
For example, respond to device level triggers such as:-